Skip to main content

Griffin Memorial School

“Imagine Greatness…Expect Success!”


Speech Language Pathology and Occupational Therapy


Related Services

Speech Language Pathology and Occupational Therapy  

Our Related Service Providers are a team of licensed and certified Speech/Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists who provide specialized services to meet the unique needs of children identified under Special Education who have speech, language, social, motor, and/or sensory needs. We teach our students new skills and strategies which allow for increased function within the school. Most of our students follow a 3-to1 service delivery model, which consists of three weeks of direct services followed by one week of indirect consultation services. Direct therapy can include individual or small group sessions. Indirect services are our time to collaborate with teachers, paraprofessionals, and other educators to share progress, insights, and promote carryover of the skills and strategies learned in therapy.

Speech Language Pathologists

Alli Dean, M.S.,CCC-SLP

[email protected]

Danielle Mague, M.S., CCC-SLP

[email protected]

Katherine McGarry, M.A., CCC-SLP

[email protected] 

Occupational Therapist

Kathleen Follis, Dr., OTR/L

[email protected]

What is the Role of Occupational Therapists in the School? 

Occupational therapy practitioners are occupational therapists (OTs) and occupational therapy assistants (OTAs) who use meaningful activities (occupations) to help children and youth participate in what they need and/or want to do in order to promote physical and mental health and well-being. Occupational therapy addresses physical, cognitive, social/emotional, sensory, and other aspects of performance. In schools, occupational therapy practitioners focus on academics, play and leisure, social participation, self-care skills (ADLs, or Activities of Daily Living), and transition/work skills. School-based OT’s provide services when students with a disability require this related service to benefit from their educational program. Using direct and consultative services, school occupational therapists collaborate with parents, teachers, and other educational staff to optimize a child’s special education program.

If you have concerns about your child’s fine motor/visual motor skills contact his or her classroom teacher. The teacher can consult with us and set up an observation. 

Click here for more information on supporting your child’s motor development.

What is the Role of a School-Based Speech Language Pathologist?

Speech Language Pathologists can work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, etc. In school settings, SLPS work with school children who have communication problems that affect success in classroom activities, social interaction, literacy, and learning. Services are provided to students with communication disorders that adversely affect the child’s educational performance. (ASHA) 

We work with students who are ‘at-risk’, we evaluate students, develop IEPs, provide therapy to students and collaborate with teachers. We provide in-class support, pull out in groups, and consult with team members to address the needs of our students. The students we work with face challenges such as articulation disorders, expressing themselves, understanding language, lacking social skills due to many different reasons. 

If you have concerns about your child’s speech/language skills contact his or her classroom teacher. The teacher can consult with us and set up an observation.

Click here for more information on your child’s speech and language development